Over the centuries, the cloister has undergone various transformations. The most important was performed by D.A. Vaccaro between 1739 and 1742, during the abbess of Sister Ippolita Carmignano.
The fourteenth century structure, made of 66 ogival archs leaning on 72 pillars in piperno, remained unchanged. In contrast, the garden was completely transformed.
Vaccaro constructed two paths which, intersecting, divided the garden into four areas. Lining the perimeter are 66 octagonal pillars, coated with majolica ceramic floral decoration, attributed to Donato and Giuseppe Massa.
The effect of the decorations blends the polychromatics of the cloister with all of the architectural and natural surrounding elements. The majolica pillars are linked to one and other by benches which are as well coated with majolica ceramic, depicting scenes from everyday life from that period.
The walls of the four sides of the Cloister are entirely covered with seventeenth century frescoes , depicting saints, allegories and scenes of the Old Testament.