The Monumental Complex of St. Chiara, including the Church, the Monastery and the Convent, had been raised since 1310 to 1328 by the will of the King Roberto d’Angiò and his wife Sancia of Majorca. The sovereigns, both devoted to St. Francis of Assisi and St. Chiara, wanted to build a Franciscan citadel that housed in the Convent the Clarisses and in the contiguous Monastery the Friars Minor.  The Church, central nucleus of the whole complex, rose with the title of Saint Host or Sacred Body of Christ, dedication suggested by the Eucharistic Miracle of Bolsena, happened in 1264; the denomination changed immediately in Santa Chiara, probably for the extraordinary number of Clarisses introduces in the Convent.